What is the Omnibus Clean Energy Bill?
The Massachusetts Senate bill “An Act to Promote a Clean Energy Future” (S2302) would make our state a national leader in developing renewable energy and getting off fossil fuels. (An omnibus bill means that it has lots of things packed into it.)
S2302 would do the following:
- Increase the amount of electricity produced from renewable sources by 3% every year
- Set goals to increase the number of electric vehicles in both the private and public spheres
- Ban taxpayer subsidies for gas pipeline infrastructure
- Enhance incentives to low-income consumers to adopt solar power
- Establish benchmarks for reductions in greenhouse gas emissions by 2030 and 2040
- Promote growth of offshore wind projects.
The state Senate is likely to pass this bill, but the state House will take more persuasion. That’s our job!